Become a Chartered Legal Executive Advocate
This page is for individuals seeking authorisation as:
- a Chartered Legal Executive Advocate
- a Newcastle Practitioner (in one of the litigation rights)
The basic elements of the process for these applications is the same, although if you have applied to be a Newcastle Practitioner, you will already have completed the application for a certificate of eligibility as part of the wider application process.
The process is as follows:
2. Apply for certificate
3. Attend advocacy
4.Once holding Chartered
*Applicants holding a BPTC are exempt from the Advocacy Skills course, where they are making an application to become a Newcastle Practitioner – applicants who have attended similar courses are invited to apply for an exemption.
Certificate of eligibility
You can apply to become an advocate in one of the following practice areas:
- Civil litigation
- Criminal litigation
- Family litigation
You should complete the application form here and pay the fee.
The application form asks for:
- your academic qualifications, to ensure that you have appropriate underpinning legal knowledge and that you are a Chartered Legal Executive (or will be on granting of the right)
- an outline of your work experience over the last five years, including five case outlines that demonstrate your competence in litigation
- three case outlines that demonstrate your competence in advocacy developed through your work experience
- two referees who can provide Newcastle Regulation with assurance of your competence and who have experience of your work
- payment of the fee
If you are making the application to become an Advocate without the corresponding litigation rights, it is a requirement that you are an employee of a law firm authorised to provide litigation and advocacy services. There is an employer declaration included within the form to confirm this.
Once this part of the process has been successfully concluded, a certificate of eligibility will be issued, which enables you to register for the advocacy skills course.